Listen for the Singing
by Jean Little
ISBN 9781443148733 Paperback
ISBN 9781443148740 Ebook
272 Pages | 5" x 7.75" | Ages 9 to 12
See an excerpt
In September of 1939, Anna Solden's new country, Canada, and her old one, Germany, are now at war. Anna has just started at a new school, where she struggles to cope with her poor vision, a teacher who bullies her for German name, and her classwork. Her father is so worried about the war that he hardly has time for her anymore, and even her big brother Rudi is behaving strangely.
Then a letter from Germany brings the war right to their doorstep, and Rudi makes a choice that leads to tragedy. There has never been a darker time for Anna's family. Anna finally realizes that she understands such darkness, and that she alone can help — but how?
First published in 1977, Listen for the Singing won the Canada Council Award for Children’s Literature
- Commended, Best Books for Kids and Teens, Canadian Children's Book Centre, 2018
- Winner, Canada Council Award for Children's Literature, 1977
- Chinese Simplified - Beijing Publishing Group
- Russian - Labrint
- Vietnamese - Nhanam
- Sequel to the beloved classic From Anna.
- A classic story, re-issued for its 40th anniversary.
- New material includes an Author's Note about the genesis of the story
- A historical angle on the importance of standing up to bullies