by Robert Munsch, illustrated by Janet Wilson
ISBN 9780439946568 Paperback
ISBN 9780439974585 Hardcover
32 Pages | 8.02" x 10.03" | Ages 3 to 8
See an excerpt
A moving story of love and remembrance for anyone who has ever lost a loved one.
Young Sarah can't sleep following her grandpa's funeral, so she wakes up her dad in the middle of the night. He agrees to take her where Grandpa used to take him as a boy the lighthouse. On the way there, Sarah and her dad drink coffee and eat donuts just as Grandpa would have liked. When they climb to the top of the lighthouse, Sarah throws a flower out to sea in her grandpa's memory.
Inspired after a reading in Antigonish, when a little girl gave Robert Munsch a drawing of a lighthouse at night with a car driving up to it, Lighthouse is a tender story about honouring those who have passed and keeping their memory alive. Janet Wilson's detailed and dramatic illustrations add a warm and gentle touch to a sensitive topic.
Praise for Lighthouse:
"Lighthouse begs to be compared to Munsch's classic best-seller and a personal favourite, Love You Forever." CM Magazine
- Canadian Children's Book Centre, Our Choice, 2004.
- Winner, Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Award Gold Award, 2003.
- Finalist, Amelia Frances Howard-Gibbon Illustrator's Award, 2004.
- Ruth Schwartz Award for Excellence in Children's Literature, 2004.
- Short-listed, Amelia Frances Howard-Gibbon Illustrator's Award, 2004
- Short-listed, Ruth and Sylvia Schwartz Award, 2004
- Commended, Canadian Children's Book Centre, Our Choice, 2004
- Commended, Oppenheim Toy Portfolio, Gold Award, 2003
- Arabic - Scholastic Inc.
- Chinese Simplified - Beijing Baby-Cube
- English (US) - Scholastic Inc.
- Korean - Reading Books
- Spanish - Everest